Contact103D Filley Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68583-0922
Research InterestsWater law and policy, energy law, environmental law and global warming
Extension AreasWater law, agricultural law
EducationJ.D. with honors, George Washington University, 1975
B.A. cum laud, Hastings College (Nebraska), 1972
- J. David Aiken, "Foreclosure Moratoria and Farm Credit Mediation: Nebraska's Legal Response to Two Agricultural Crises." Chapter 6 in Alan Gless (ed.), (Ohio University Press, 2008).
- Aiken, J.D. "The Republican River: Negotiation, Arbitration, and a Federal Water Master," Cornhusker Economics (July 2008)
- Aiken, J. D. "Hydrologically-Connected Ground Water, §858 & the Spear T Decision" 84 Nebraska Law Review 962-96 (2006).
- Schroeter, J. R., A. Azzam & J. D. Aiken. "Anti-corporate Farming Laws & Industry Structure: the Case of Cattle Feeding." 88 American Journal of Agricultural Economics 1000-1014 (2006).
- Aiken, J. D. "The Western Common Law of Tributary Ground Water: Implications for Nebraska," 83 Nebraska Law Review 541-95 (2004).
- Aiken, J. D. "Groundwater Law of the Western United States," in B.A. Stewart & T. A. Howell (eds), Encyclopedia of Water Science (Marcel Dekker) 333-335 (2003).
- Aiken, J. D. "Surface Water Law of the Western United States," in B.A. Stewart & T. A. Howell (eds.), Encyclopedia of Water Science (Marcel Dekker) 946-949 (2003).
- Aiken, J.D. The Use of Equitable Principles to Resolve 'New' Western Water Disputes," in P.
J. Longo & D. W. Yoskowitz (eds.), Water on the Great Plains: Issues & Policies (Texas Tech. Univ. Press 2002).
- Aiken, J. D. "Balancing Endangered Species Protection and Irrigation Water Rights: The Platte River Cooperative Agreement," 3 Great Plains Natural Resources Journal 119-58 (1999).
- National Research Council, Valuing Ground Water: Economic Concepts and Approaches (1997) (committee member).
- Aiken, J. D., Annette Higby & Nancy Thompson, A Farmer's Handbook To Livestock Regulation in Nebraska (Center for Rural Affairs, 1994).
- Aiken, J. D., "Protecting the Hidden Resource: The Quiet Crisis in Nebraska Pesticide & Ground Water Protection Policies," 26 Creighton Law Review 639-96 (1993).
- Aiken, J. D., "Chapter 12 Family Farm Bankruptcies," 66 Nebraska Law Review 632-94 (1988).
- Aiken, J. D., "New Directions in Nebraska Water Policy," 66 Nebraska Law Review 8-75 (1987).
- Aiken, J. D. "The National Water Policy Review & Western Water Rights Law Reform," 59 Nebraska Law Review 327-44 (1980).
- Aiken, J.D., "Nebraska Ground Water Law & Administration," 59 Nebraska Law Review 917-1000 (1980).