Dr. Richard K. Perrin
Jim Roberts Professor
207 Filley Hall
Ph.D. Agricultural Economics, Iowa State University, 1968
B.S. Agricultural Business, Iowa State University, 1960
I'm interested in productivity - how to measure it, how it happens, who benefits from it. Technology assessment (ex-ante and ex-post) is part of that story.
I'm interested in biofuels - their impacts on agriculture, the climate and the environment.
I'm interested in the potential for the Great Plains and its aquifer to be able to help feed the burgeoning world population in a sustainable manner.
- ENSC 230 - Energy and the Environment: Economics and Policy
- AECN 840 - Applied Welfare and Policy Analysis
- AECN 873 - Microeconomic Models and Applications
- AECN 901 - Production Economics
- Perrin, R., J. Sesmero, K. Wamisho and D. Bacha. 2012. Biomass supply costs for Great Plains delivery points. Biomass and Bioenergy, 37(Feb):213-220. DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2011.12.010
- Blomendahl, Ben H., Richard K. Perrin and Bruce B. Johnson. 2011. The impact of Ethanol Plants on Surrounding Farmland Values: A Case Study. Land Economics, 87(2):223-232.
- Perrin, Richard K. “Approaches for Measuring Productivity and Natural Assets Productivity Metrics Versus Food Security”, in Measuring Food Insecurity and Assessing the Sustainability of Global Food Systems: Report of a Workshop, National Academies Press, Washington, D.C, 2011. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13290
- Liska A. and R. Perrin. “Energy and Climate Implications for Agricultural Nutrient Use Efficiency. “ Chapter 1, IN: Clay D. and Shanahan J. (eds.), GIS Applications in Agriculture, Vol. Two: Nutrient Management for Improved Energy Efficiency. CRC Press, Boca Raton FL, 2011.
- Liska, Adam J. and Richard K Perrin. "Securing Foreign Oil: A Case for Including Military Operations in the Climate Change Impact of Fuels" Environment, 52(40):9-22 July-August, 2010. http://www.environmentmagazine.org/Archives/Back%20Issues/July-August%202010/securing-foreign-oil-full.html
- Perrin,R.K., Nickolas F. Fretes and Juan Pablo Sesmero. Efficiency in Midwest US corn ethanol plants: A plant survey. Energy Policy 37(4):1309-1316, April, 2009. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/ageconfacpub/86/
- Liska, Adam J. and Richard K Perrin. "Indirect land use emissions in the life cycle of biofuels: regulations vs science." Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining Published Online: Apr 17 2009, DOI: 10.1002/bbb.153 http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122327350/abstract
- Schmer, M.R., K.P. Vogel, R.B. Mitchell, and R.K. Perrin. "Net Energy of Cellulosic Ethanol from Switchgrass." Proc. Nat. Academy of Sciences 105 (2):464-469, Jan 15, 2008.
- Perrin, Richard, Kenneth Vogel, Marty Schmer and Rob Mitchell. "Farm-Scale Production Cost of Switchgrass for Biomass." BioEnergy Research 1(1):91-97, March, 2008.
- Perrin, R.K., & Fulginiti, L.E. Pricing and welfare impacts of new crop traits: The role of IPRs and Coase's conjecture revisited. AgBioForum, 11(2), 134-144, 2008. http://www.agbioforum.org.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E, and Richard K. Perrin. "Productivity and Welfare", The Journal of Productivity Analysis 49(2):133-155, October, 2005.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan, Richard K. Perrin and Bingxin Yu. "Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Agriculture", Agricultural Economics 31/2-3:169-180, 2004.
- Rezek, Jon and Richard K. Perrin. "Environmentally Adjusted Agricultural Productivity in the Great Plains", Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 29(2):346-369, August, 2004.