Economic Impacts of the Nebraska Ethanol and Ethanol Co-Products Industry 2018-2019
This study estimates the overall economic impact of the Nebraska ethanol and co-proucts industry in 2018 and 2019. The study uses a quantitative measure (IMPLAN) as well as fundamental economic analysis to assess the harder-to-measure outcomes in the industry.
The Nebraska ethanol industry remains an important market in Nebraska, producing 2.253 billion gallons in 2019, resulting in the value of ethanol production at $4.042 billion, trailing only corn and cattle. While the industry has experienced weakened ethanol prices in 2018 and 2019, the Nebraska ethanol industry has shown resilience through continued expansion in total capacity and diversification of co-products.
This report is produced in partnership with the Nebraska Ethanol Board and the Department of Agricultural Economics. The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of the Nebraska Ethanol Board.
Output, Employment, Labor Income, Indirect Business Taxes (2019)
- Ethanol Production - 2,253 million gallons
- Value of Ethanol Production - $2,974 million
- Total Value - $4,042 million
- Employees - 1,460 full-time equivalents (FTEs)
- Labor Income - $125 million
- Indirect Business Taxes - $13 million
Overall Economic Impact (2019)
- Employment - 6,226 FTEs
- Total Labor Income - $443 million
- Total Output - $4,517 million
Economic Impact from Cumulative Investments
- Employment - 50 FTEs
- Total Labor Income - $2.9 million
- Total Output - $7.4 million